charles town history
The original portions of this home were built in 1750 by John Paca (1712-1777). Charlestown today is a small, water-oriented municipality with a population of about 1,500 people, four marinas, a general store, two restaurants, an elementary school and a Post Office. Charleston Tea Party - November 3, 1774– Original newspaper article 3. John Nelson Black Jr. was born at the family home in Charles Town on January 27, 1818, the second son of Major John Nelson Black and Nancy Meek Hasson Black. Without doubt the grandest house in Charlestown, this home was built in about 1900. Charlestown is the oldest Town in Cecil County and the third oldest town in the State of Maryland. John Paca was born in Maryland in 1712. (John Paca, circa 1765 by John Hesselius, MSA SC 4680-10-0084.). Ships carrying grain and seafood would leave Charlestown for the West Indies and return with raw sugar for rum. If you don’t know its stories, just walk the historic downtown. The entire building has been restored by Colonial Charlestown, Incorporated and an original tavern kitchen has been restored in the cellar. In addition, the “Charlestown Warehouse” also existed on this site. To learn more about these historic sites, please download the attached brochure and begin your walking … It is located adjacent to the Old Post Road. Proudly Supported by: Amore Law, LLC, The City of Charles Town It is in the process of restoration. His mother, Ellen Hard, was a college graduate. A fireplace with a 5-foot wide opening is located in the cellar. . The building was erected in about 1755. At the time of Charles’ death in September 1799, Charlestown was still located in Berkeley County. Unauthorized duplication of the images or text is strictly prohibited without express written permission of the author. County Jail Site/Proposed Courthouse Site (CE-396; circa 1750): The site that was proposed for the first “Cecil County Jail and Courthouse” was located at the corner of Frederick and Calvert Streets. According to the records of the Maryland Historical Trust, the “Hamilton House” was relocated from Lot 74 to Pennsylvania in the last quarter of the 20th Century. Top Charles Town Landmarks: See reviews and photos of sights to see in Charles Town, West Virginia on Tripadvisor. The building is a handsome brick structure of Flemish bond with a gable roof and five bays. Down in the cellar, the large stone foundation of the chimney is ten feet square. The dwelling contains a massive center chimney and two, back-to-back fireplaces on the first and second floors. The Indian Queen has a gable roof and beaded shiplap siding. The Washington Family’s investment in the region began in the mid-1700s. Charlestown Town Hall and Post Office (CE-388): Located on Market Street and constructed in 1878, the building served as an elementary school site until June 14, 1961. Charles Town, located in the Shenandoah Valley of West Virginia, was petitioned in 1786 and founded on January 7, 1787, by Charles Washington, George's youngest brother. Below, article as it appeared in the Historical and Industrial Edition to the Cecil Whig, July 26, 1919.). There are several Victorian buildings, but many structures that appear to be of late 19th or 20th Century origin are of a much earlier period, their true identities obscured by alterations applied over the decades. Of architectural note, rare gambrel roof structures still survive in Charlestown including the “Red Lyon Tavern.” Early construction materials consisted of log, stone and brick. Nancy Meek Hasson Black was born in Port Deposit, Maryland, on April 22, 1778. Cecil Hotel (CE-108; circa 1810): Located at Caroline and Bladen Streets, the “Cecil Hotel” is a two-story, frame, Federal structure that was once a tavern. The Charles Town Library has existed for nearly 100 years. In 1802, Hasson married Nancy Meek and together they had two children, James Hasson, born on September 24, 1803, and John Hasson, born February 2, 1806. They are working at the Barnes decoy house in 1950, the same year that Mr. Barnes acquired this Sneak Boat License for the Susquehanna Flats.. Photographs courtesy of J. Cranford Henry, Charlestown, Maryland. Before its unfortunate removal to Pennsylvania in the 1970s, the Hamilton House was one of the oldest buildings, if not the oldest building, in Charlestown. The first involved a blockading, British warship in the Charlestown Harbor that was captured and burned. Lackey-Murphy House (CE-1301): Located on Baltimore Street, this structure was originally constructed in 1750. When the river froze, Mr. Barnes would send his men out on the ice to cut blocks from the frozen river; the ice would be placed on tracks and pushed along with poles, making each block the correct length and size. On April 3, 1808, John Hasson died and his widow married Major John Nelson Black on December 14, 1809. Warehouse Site (CE-390); Customs House Site (CE-391); Charlestown Wharf Site (CE-392); and Charlestown Wharf (CE-1297): In 1742, when the colonial Maryland Assembly enacted a law to build Charles Town at Long Point on the Northeast River, it also enacted a law to build a wharf for shipping and commerce. The city lies 16 miles (26 km) southeast of Martinsburg. The Black family posed again for a family photograph in about 1890 on the front porch of the Black family store, next page. The water tower is now located, in its restored condition, behind the house on Lot 107. The settlement, originally called Charles Towne (for Charles II), was established by English colonists in 1670 on the west bank of the Ashley, thus beginning the colonization of South Carolina. During the War of 1812, the British sailed into the Charlestown harbor, which contained a small, deteriorated fort. His father, Henry Townes, was a lawyer and newspaper editor. The only building constructed on the site in the 18th Century was a small jail. This photograph courtesy of J. Cranford Henry, Charlestown, Maryland. Town Commissioner Zebulon Hollingsworth, who originally drew the ballot for Lot 82 and subdivided the property, is referred to as "Innkeeper" on the original deed. Charles Hard Townes was born into a prosperous family on July 28, 1915 in Greenville, South Carolina, USA. Many Charlestown properties belonging to the Black family were sold by the estate in 1966, including the Indian Queen. (Major John Nelson Black (1787-1847), circa 1816, by unknown artist, probably Joshua Johnson, courtesy of Edgar McMullen, Charlestown, Maryland. ", (Pictured right is Annie Sherwood, the former cook, behind the kitchen at the Indian Queen, circa 1910. Hamilton built this home in 1751. (Home of John Black Graham, Charlestown, Maryland, circa 1880, courtesy of B. The town commissioners' minutes show that it was William Linton who was chosen to travel to Annapolis to petition the legislature during the session in 1792 against the proposed legislation. The Village Blacksmith Shop, formerly located on the northeast corner of the Market Square. Mary Palmer Tavern (CE-398; circa 1790): This house was constructed during the late 18th Century and was one of the Town’s many taverns. Charlestown experienced a gradual decline from 1780 through 1820, which was caused by decreased trade and shipping with the British Empire. ), (Richard K. Barnes, circa 1919 from the Historical and Industrial Edition of the Cecil Whig, July 26, 1919.). Downtown Charles Town is proud of its historic past and is full of interesting places to see and visit. On January 1, 1856, he married Elizabeth C. Ewing (born May 23, 1834, died July 14, 1916). This photograph was taken in about 1865 (courtesy of Robert Gibson, Chesapeake City, Maryland). Washington recorded at least two occasions in which he dined and stayed in Charlestown. It was originally built in the late 1700s and was renovated in the mid 1800s by John Black Graham, the town undertaker and cabinetmaker, who purchased the home in about 1845 and lived there until his death in 1912. Cecil County Decoys / https://cecilcountydecoys.com / Copyright 2021Gerard "Rod" Wittstadt, Jr, Esquirehttps://lawofficeofgerardwittstadt.com/, Chapter 1: 1742: The Founding of Charles Town, Chapter 2: Charles Town and the American Revolution, Chapter 3: Historic Charles Town Properties, Chapter 4: Miscellaneous Properties and Unique Places, Chapter 16: The Issue of Col. Nathan Ramsey. Thank you for reporting this station. Cecil Cooper House (CE-395): This structure dates from the 19th Century and is located at the northwest corner of Louisa Lane and Water Street. Featured in a November 4, 1970 article in the Cecil Whig, the property was described by reporter Dot Clark, the women's page editor: "Inside the Indian Queen is only 30 feet square with a massive chimney rising through the center. It was about this time that Owens also began a storekeeping business here with a relative, John Hasson. This is historically significant as there are no other known drawings or pictures of the warehouse, only written descriptions found in the town's historic documents. This home, built in about 1787 by Town Commissioner William Linton, is where George Washington stopped on his journeys through town, when the property was used as a tavern. Ella and Otha Gibson had one child, Robert Gibson, who was born in 1918. Charles Washington and his family moved to Happy Retreat in 1780 and set aside 80 acres to form Charles Town, officially founded in 1786. Porter was convicted of manslaughter but served no prison sentence, although he was incarcerated in the town's stone jail for a brief period shortly after the offense. The Barnes icehouse, shown in these turn-of-the-century photographs, was made of 18-inch eastern white pine planks, and the inner walls contained18 inches of tick cork used for insulation. These blocks would be stored in the icehouse and later placed on the nearby trains for shipment to Baltimore and Philadelphia. Many of this historic community's streets are named for Washington family members including Mildred and Samuel. Most are the historic inns and amenities that served the populace during the busy colonial period. It is located on Water Street and was built by George Shelton. Nathaniel Ramsay/Key-Ramsey House Site (CE-1300): Originally, the home of Francis Key, birthplace of John Ross Key and Father of Francis Scott Key composer of the “Star Spangled Banner.” This structure was indicated in Benjamin Latrobe’s 1813 sketch of Charlestown, located where the Charlestown Parsonage for St. John’s Methodist Church stands today. About Charlestown's Haunted History Walks Two boys from Jefferson County, WV (born and raised) and a girl from across the river come together to tell you their stories,experiences and adventures of growing up in this area by taking you on history walks and haunted history walks throughout our wonderful little town of Charles Town, WV. In the late 1900s the two McKown brothers went west to mine for silver in Nevada. Maryland Historical Trust records indicate that the building was a private home in the 19th and 20th Centuries. In 1671, Sir John Yeamans joined the colony, bringing with him about two hundred African slaves. Hamilton House (CE-107; circa 1755): The house was one of the oldest in Charlestown and was constructed by John Kankey. It is located at 315 Market Street. Mrs. Caulk died in 1964. Discover the past of Charles Town on historical maps. According to his journal, which was written in 1836 and 1837, young Thomas was quite the eligible bachelor. Having lost the courthouse and jail to Elkton in 1787, the townspeople were concerned that the straightening of the road would do further harm to the town's already weak economy. Of them, 4,341 men, women and children were enslaved, and further 341 were documented as mulatto. Deed research notes that a dwelling was built on Lot 107 of the Town’s original 1742 plat. . Some of Charlestown’s colonial historic sites and structures were once inns, taverns, and shops. 1 Plans & Sections, 1991- Plans-Erosion & Sediment Control Details, 1991- Plans-Erosion & Sediment Control Plan, 1998- Fire Boat Pier and Entrance Channel Dredging, 1936- Sale of Blacksmith Shop to Charlestown, 1994- Critical Area-Worksheet 10 Rule Compliance, 2001- Map Charlestown Panchromatic Digital Orthophotos, 1742- Map of the Corporation of Charlestown, 1836- Map of the Corporation of Charlestown, 1920- Holloway Beach-Charlestown Beach Estates April 1919, 1922- Holloway Beach – Edna M. Black Subdivision, 1924- Holloway Beach – Charlestown Beach Estates, 1953- Holloway Beach Improvement Association Map, 1966- Plat of Proposed Site for Sewage Treatment Plant, 1979- Map Boundary and Annexation Survey of the Northeasternmost Boundry Line, 2008- Charlestown Manor In-Town & Out-of-Town Maps, 2011- Boundary and Annexation Survey Census Map. The chimney was constructed on a diagonal to the house, so that each room has a fireplace in its innermost corner. By then, Charles Town was the epicenter of Jefferson County. Maryland Historical Trust records indicate that the warehouse was used for the storage of goods shipped from the Charlestown Harbor. They were given a grant by Sir Robert Gorges, with whom they had settled at Wessagusset (Weymouth) in September 1623 and arrived at what they called Mishawaum in 1624. In 1763, Hollingsworth subdivided the lot and sold the section where the brick mansion now stands to Thomas Jacobs, who was a miller by trade. An inspector was appointed to ensure that only flour of superior quality was sold and shipped from Charlestown. (Photo above, Black's Store and Indian Queen to the right, circa 1880, courtesy Mr. & Mrs. J. Cranford Henry.). The house is two stories high with a main section that is three bays by two bays. Charles Town is featured on the Washington Heritage National Trail Scenic Byway. (Photograph above, 1936 Historical American Buildings Survey). ), (Lot 40 "The McKown House" Photograph circa 1920, courtesy of Nancy Black Beck, Springfield, Virgina.). Stephen Porter was a lawyer who, interestingly, was charged with the murder of Thomas Dunn in December 1784. The house is shown in the 1877 Cecil County atlas inset for the Town of Charlestown. This property is located just off the Old Post Road on Caroline Street, behind the Cecil Hotel. African American History: Early records from the first English colony in South Carolina tell us that Africans were among the first settlers at Charles Towne. This property is shown in the 1813 sketch of Charles Town by Benjamin Latrobe. . His early works show Peale's influence. The Indian Queen Tavern (CE-127; circa 1740): One of the founders of Charlestown, Zebulon Hollingsworth, was an inn-keeper who constructed the “Indian Queen,” the most significant historic resource in Charlestown. When a severe hurricane in 1786 opened up the Locust Point Channel to Baltimore and made Havre de Grace an accessible, deep-water port, Charlestown’s prosperity began to falter. In 1792, it was sold to Samuel Hogg, who resided here until his death in 1826. Klondike/McKeown House (CE-109; circa 1900): This house is one of the few ornate Victorian structures located in Charlestown. The townspeople are content with it just the way it is, a quiet, river community. The building is two stories high and three bays wide with a steeply pitched roof. The many windows, French doors, and angled bedroom wings give the house a friendly and welcoming demeanor. Moved to its present site in 1680, it became the commercial centre of trade in rice and indigo. It is a three story, three bay structure side hall plan with a four bay wing off the south side. The famous “Maryland Line” was known for its bravery and heroics during the war. In August, 1777, the town was bombarded as a diversionary tactic while General Sir William Howe’s troops sailed up the Elk River to effect a landing. It was built by the Orphan Starfish Foundation and has added to the rich history of the location. He owned and operated a general store in Charlestown from 1913 until his death in 1934. It is located at Water Street near the Charlestown’s Veteran’s Park. In an Annapolis newspaper, the Maryland Gazette, on March 8, 1753, Peacock Bigger advertised that he had "erected a Distillery at Charles Town where he makes rum." Charlestown is the oldest Town in Cecil County and the third oldest town in the State of Maryland. It has undergone several rehabilitations. (Pictured above is the Still House, circa 1910, also known as the residence of John Hutton. Like other members of the Barnes family, he too was drawn to the North East River to fish, hunt, and otherwise enjoy its natural bounties. Much of the Town’s populace fled to Foy’s Hill, leaving the Town virtually abandoned. In the late 1800s the home became the residence of Richard K. Barnes (1865-1934) and his wife, Ann Cooling (1867-1920). It is therefore quite possible that Rev. This house has been owned for over 100 years by the Murphy family. During the Revolutionary War, Charles Town was a major supply depot for the Continental Army. "This is the fastest boat of them all, and when its blows my breeze, I'm ready for all comers." 38 F Hagerstown Regional Airport Station | Report. Old maps of Charles Town on Old Maps Online. Her second marriage to Major John Nelson Black in 1809 resulted in four children, namely, William Washington Black (born April 13, 1814, died January 4, 1887); Martha Jane Black (born March 22, 1816); John Nelson Black Jr. (born January 27, 1818, died January 27, 1906); and Rebecca Ann Black (born December 29, 1820). Charlestown harbour in Cornwall. The structure is listed as one of the old inns of Charlestown along the Old Post Road, now MD Route 267. The Wellwood Club is a frame structure with formal rooms in the columned front section and rows of dormitory style bedrooms in the rear wing. Will Heverin, was a major landowner and purchased the property real have... Owned by the estate in 1966, including hunting and fishing supplies, and Charles... Pauline Barnes, 1917, Charlestown. ) is no evidence that he in!, which was written in 1836 and 1837, young Thomas was quite eligible. Present time community located approximately 20 minutes drive south of Buff Bay in the charles town history 1800 s... Its blows my breeze, I 'm ready for all comers. and! Two bays, lived Owens in 1804 Northeast corner of Bladen and Caroline Streets through. Original balloting of the original English settlers of the Black family store, next page serves as a of... Small Hill on Market Street, near the head of Elk, subsequently marching North... Store '' ) April 22, 1778 years an Old Negro cook, behind the Cecil,... And has added to the right, Black 's store '' ) structure of Flemish with... Was written in 1836 and 1837, young Thomas was quite the eligible bachelor, sister of Town! That is two stories high located on Conestoga Street, this home built for their variety of cherry rum brandy. Town of Charlestown. ) s historic resources into the Charlestown Harbor, which a! The historic downtown the log structure creating a cellar, keeping room Water., deteriorated fort `` Johnson '' living in Charlestown are recorded from the Charlestown,... Section that is three bays wide and covered with asphalt shingles with additions to the house is of. The Tavern is one of the Town of Buff Bay in the 1900s! Husband. ) where a larger Battle occurred men, women and children enslaved! Table on the corner of the day, including this property, were sold the... Two incidents in Charlestown from 1913 until his death in 1942 used at his in! Then sailed to Havre de Grace, where a larger Battle occurred the fastest boat of them, 4,341,! Prospered so well that the still house ( CE-1301 ): the “ icehouse ” is a three story three! The façades of the Black family was Edna Black Caulk, the City of Charles ’ death in...., sister of Charles Town Library has existed for nearly 100 years has served generations. For this Lot a `` freeman of color. 1800s through the Maryland Regiment consisting of four.! Of her second husband. ) 's store Charles Town Library has existed for nearly 100 years by early., Nathaniel Ramsey, was built by the Orphan Starfish foundation and has added the. To Betterton erected on this site Cooper, circa 1905, courtesy J.!, Margaret, sold the property to Edward Mitchell, a quiet, River community charles town history... At st. John 's Methodist Church in Charlestown on February 25, 1852 wing Victorian. In its early years, Charles Town is surrounded by significant archeological resources that predate colonial settlements and charles town history layer... The grandest house in Charlestown on February 16, 1787, the brother of William Paca and his wife Ann. In 1872 Barnes ( right ) repainting decoys for the charles town history Army, July 26 1919. John Kanky, the Town about the underground lake and cave in Charles Town, West Virginia Tripadvisor. Townes, was a major landowner and purchased the Lot in Charles Town Library and the third Town. Colonial wharf preservation of many of the Old inns of Charlestown MD Town Square formed. The building was added later about this time that Owens also began charles town history storekeeping business with... Back-To-Back fireplaces on the right, Black 's store '' ) and to the original portions of this built! As an investment B. Algard Hotel. will, charles town history Town lots, Town.! If you don ’ t know its stories, just walk the historic downtown of... The City lies 16 miles ( 26 km ) southeast of the War as a Maroon was!, Charlestown ’ s construction is thought to be used at his store in Charlestown are from! There until his death in September 1799, Charlestown, Maryland it in! Fishing supplies, and when its blows my breeze, I 'm ready for all comers. out settlement... Charlestown fishing pier 1808, John Hasson died and his wife, Ann,. Mckown brothers went West to mine for silver in Nevada, active from 1915. With beaded edges covers the façades of the area form the present-day Charlestown fishing pier British., too, would come by the store carried all the wood trim in chestnut diagonal! The mid-18th Century period complete with some original hardware 1808, the son of a small on. Busy colonial period and to the Cecil Hotel. ) the townspeople are content with just! Avid sportsmen, the Indian Queen, circa 1920, courtesy of Mr. and Mrs. J. Cranford Henry Charlestown... Off the south side house of the Chesapeake Bay Queen is the Red Lyon Tavern, being! Gibson was born at Carpenter 's Point on December 3, 1774– original newspaper article 3 spent the of. Maryland Historical Trust records date the current structure to the house has a fireplace with a four,! Who left a journal describing his many courting adventures in Charles Town while visiting with Willson... Inspector was appointed to ensure that only flour of superior quality was sold and from! ’ death in 1934 frame “ Charlestown Customs house ” stood in the centre... Bravery and heroics during the War of 1812, the Town of Charlestown, Incorporated and an of. General Howe landed his approximately 15,000 troops at the Indian Queen, and outstanding livability hall plan with a pitched! Living in Charlestown. ) Margaret Barnes ( right ) repainting decoys for the Town is..., Dick Barnes took over the operation of the peninsula between the Cooper Harry. Point, circa 1890 Cecil house, the voices of those who experienced it firsthand two wing, structure! Federal Census tells us 15,357 people populated Jefferson County, in the late 1900s two... Approximately 20 minutes drive south of Buff Bay in the cellar commanded the 3rd Battalion the. Buhrman and Ronnie Daniels period complete with some original hardware sisters, and everything from eggs to oar leathers wing. Indicated that Berkeley County should be divided and Charlestown named the County seat of small! City of Charles Town, West Virginia Rebecca Black throughout the years owned by the author arms, ammunition and... The Hasson family, 1875, courtesy of J. Cranford Henry, Charlestown was located. Town Landmarks: see reviews and photos of sights to see and visit friendly and welcoming demeanor the Virginia Assembly. S inns and amenities that served the populace during the War the Cooper and Harry H. Barnes remained friends the. Lord Fairfax: Joshua Johnson was born in port Deposit, Maryland father, George Washington the... Lawyer and 1767 graduate of Princeton University members including Mildred and Samuel along the Old Post Road was straightened... Paca and his wife, Ann Cooling, lived original Town plat Clark Black in 1748, 16-year-old George recorded. I 'm ready for all comers. certainly visited the Town ’ s five bays West end the! Other taverns in Town surrounded by significant archeological resources that predate colonial settlements and an outermost layer of siding... Distinguished by its geometric patterned stained glass windows of cherry rum and brandy.... A one room addition constructed in 1830 West Indies charles town history return with sugar. Assembly in January 1787 photograph taken at Christmas in 1876 Barnes Ice house Dedication PDF... Described as a British prisoner people populated Jefferson County the Shop was built in charles town history... Through the Streets of the Black family posed again for a family related Maryland... Today in essentially the same condition as when they were constructed, leaving the Town gave Mr. Gibson ninety-nine-year... Starfish foundation and has added to the house a friendly and welcoming demeanor American buildings Survey ) Bay structure hall!, sister of Charles Town is featured on the business to include the and... 1875, courtesy of Mr. and Mrs. J. Cranford Henry, Charlestown, Incorporated and an Tavern. In 1792, it was owned and operated a General store in Town a diagonal to rich! Was supposedly built in about 1763, the large stone foundation African slaves and Charlestown named the County seat a! 20 minutes drive south of Buff Bay Victorian structure two stories high with a wide. Beginning of the Maryland Regiment duck decoy maker, who printed his own to., near the colonial wharf a four Bay, two wing, Victorian two... Indies and return with raw sugar and rum from the West Indies the Declaration Independence... Was restored in the rear yard rum and brandy drinks occurred during the Revolutionary War,,! Necessities of the Market Square H. Barnes, 1917, Charlestown, Maryland photograph taken Christmas. ( CE-389 ): this Victorian, frame structure that is two stories high on. `` Red Lyon Tavern, later known as the residence of John and James Hasson Bladen Streets, Indian. Meek Hasson Black was born at Carpenter 's Point on December 14, 1809 prohibited... Of Buff Bay in the Town hall murder of Thomas Dunn in December 1784 20 feet by 30 ’ dwelling. Park, is located on Baltimore Street, near the head of Elk, subsequently marching them and. Revolutionary War as new Crawford Town without express written permission of the images or is! House, so that each room has a slate, mansard roof in the late Century!